A Guernsey Retirement Annuity Trust Scheme (commonly known as “RATS”) is an excellent alternative for Guernsey residents to the traditional insurance company based pension plan and a viable alternative now that there is a lack of insurance company providers operating in Guernsey.
We offer a bespoke Guernsey RATS tailored for each individual client.
A Guernsey approved RATS has the following advantages:
- Consolidation of existing pension arrangements into one scheme
- Receive transfers from UK pensions without any UK tax deductions *
- No requirement to purchase an annuity
- Receive a pension between the age of 50** and 75 with no need to have retired from employment
- Lump sum payment of up to 30% (tax free up to a set limit)
- Unlimited contributions
- Tax relief of up to £35,000 per annum is available against any income
- Carry forward unused contributions relief up to 6 years
- Take loans of up to 30%
- Greater investment freedom
- Named beneficiaries receive balance of fund upon death
* the RATS will require approval as a Qualifying Recognised Overseas Pension Scheme (“QROPS”)
** 55 if the RATS is approved as a QROPS
Jupiter provides the following services:
- Establishment of an individual Guernsey RATS and act as an independent trustee
- Obtain Guernsey Revenue Service approval
- If required obtain QROPS approval from HMRC to allow transfers of funds from a UK pension scheme
- Arrange for the transfer of existing pension schemes
- Quarterly valuations
- Annual accounts
- Appointment of investment adviser or manager (we do not provide investment advice)
We are able to engage any investment manager or financial adviser to look after the RATS investments, subject to suitability.
Guide to Retirement Annuity Trust Schemes
To request a copy of our Guide to Retirement Annuity Trust Schemes, please complete the following details and a link will be emailed to you to download the latest information.
Guide to Qualifying Recognised Overseas Pension Schemes
To request a copy of our Guide to Qualifying Recognised Overseas Pension Schemes, please complete the following details and a link will be emailed to you to download the latest information.